"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on What's the meaning of "outdated" in physics?

What's the meaning of "outdated" in physics?

+4
−0

I was recently reading some questions here and there saying that "relativistic mass is outdated". I saw someone saying that "outdated" doesn't mean the concept is wrong. My question is what physicists mean by "outdated"? Not everyone was saying that relativistic mass is outdated. Some physicists still say that relativistic mass is not "outdated"

A hotter body is more massive than a colder body (that's an example of relativistic mass, some says it's utter nonsense but they explain it some other way, the more information is available here (a book?) I can't remember anything from the book so not including anything).

When I heard the "outdated" term first then I thought they are actually saying that the concept isn't correct the way others are explaining but the equation is helpful and peoples are misunderstanding it. And their explanation goes this way ..........................................................................

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Simply not seen as very useful by a majority nowadays... (3 comments)
I can't think which tag should I use, hence please suggest an edit (2 comments)
Simply not seen as very useful by a majority nowadays...
Trilarion‭ wrote over 2 years ago

... probably because it's not really correct or too simplified or not a useful concept. Classic example is Aether.

deleted user wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

Aether is wrong concept (not talking about Einstein-aether).

Michelson-morley experiment proves that Aether concept is wrong. But we don’t say that aether is outdated. We can talk about ptolemy's idea also, and we use "wrong" for that idea not "outdated".

Einstein proposed to reuse aether word with new concept which is known as Einstein-aether but aether theory is wrong somehow.

Trilarion‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Then something that is not obviously wrong but not obviously right and useful either. It might even come down to personal opinion. Outdated by itself is not a very useful category. Better to say what aspects are right or wrong.