"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on What happens if an electron collides with a proton?

What happens if an electron collides with a proton?

+2
−0

What will happen if an electron and a proton collide? They attract each other inside an atom. But, why they don't collide inside atoms? Does the "boundary" of the nucleus push them away?

depends on the energy of the electron. For low energies, a bound state will be formed due to electromagnetic interaction between the two. In the case of higher energy, the proton can be transformed into a neutron. ~ Physics SE

How they can form a neutron? And, what they meant by bound state? While electrons have positive and protons have negative charge. They should collide and vanish, shouldn't they? (Another problem arises when thinking of thermodynamics: according to the first law of thermodynamics, energy can't be created nor destroyed. So, they have to form to another one if that so than, how they can form neutron? Is it responsible for charge?)

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

Neess to be one question (2 comments)
Feedback of suggested-edit (3 comments)
Feedback of suggested-edit
deleted user wrote over 2 years ago

Canina‭ Isn't electron, proton and positron noun? First later of noun is forever capital. But, in your suggestion it was small letter why?

Canina‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

deleted user Nouns aren't written with an initial capital letter in English; however, proper names are. (With a few exceptions, such as names of units, which may or may not be capitalized; for example, Newton and Sievert are capitalized when used as the name of the unit, but gram and second are not, and prefixes are generally uncapitalized so 1 Sievert is 1000 millisievert.) However, some languages do capitalize nouns; German is one example I know of, but I am sure there are others. If you'd like a more in-depth discussion of this, I suggest asking over on Languages & Linguistics.

Canina‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Also, I wasn't quite sure what you meant with your last paragraph (and especially the final parenthetical), so I largely left that one alone. For example, I don't know what you meant to say by "is it mattering for charge?". You might want to consider if that can be edited to clarify what you are asking about.